Do you Dare to Wear a Sharara?

Friday 31 January 2014

Would you wear a Sharara or not?! Debately the most controversial clothing question asked! Okay so maybe a slight exaggeration, but still a highly important question! Shararas never fail to split opinion, and as fashion trends are part of a huge revolving wheel, eventually Shararas are bought back into the spotlight, but it seems to  me that they go out of fashion as quickly as they come in. I think its because it splits peoples opinions, you either love them or hate them, or your really just not sure what you feel about them! 

A Sharara in essence is a top and trouser combination, the defining characteristic of a Sharara are the trousers they are essentially flared/wide leg trousers that when worn often give the appearance of a Lehenga. Personally, Shararas lean towards may aesthetic sensibilities and so I would absolutely wear one, but having said that I'm not a fan of all style and cuts, I am admittedly extremely picky!

Shararas can be a flattering and fun garment to wear if the style and cut are right, for example I'm not a fan of a Sharara trousers that have a band and gathers midway at the thigh, I find they can be  seriously unflattering as they have a tendency to cut a body shape and draw attention to areas that don't need to be! When looking for Shararas I prefer the straight flared style of trouser, these I think are by far the more flattering choice and also the more modern update of the classic Sharara. The length of the top is always an important feature too, the key here is to make sure that its a length that you feel comfortable in! I personally avoid top lengths that are too short, as it wouldn't flatter my body shape! So know your body shape and know what flatters you and what doesn't!

Of late there has been a influx of Shararas hitting the runway and I have to say I'm left with some serious wardrobe envy! My favourite look and style had to be that of Gaurang Shah, he mixes bold prints on the top with neutral trousers that have been carefully pleated to give a fresh and tailored look to the Sharara. This is a look I would LOVE to get my hands on! 

If you really are undecided, I say give one a go! My tips for wearing one would be too:

  • Pick a style that you feel comfortable in! 
  • Ensure the shape and cut of the sharara flatters you, for example, if you don't want to draw attention to certain areas then try to choose a style that compliments those areas! 
  • Accessories are a must, and try to keep it in theme with the style of the sharara, the quirkier the jewellery the better in my opinion, so think chunky and electric styles of jewellery, big chunky hoops or bangles encrusted with bells and beads. 
  • Heels are a must too, they'll give you the height and statue you need when wearing a heavy flared trouser, the will help to create the illusion of a Lehenga as you'll see the full shape of the trousers... 
  • Lastly Be Confident!: If your daunted by the unusual look, don't be! Shararas are edgy, fun and seriously easy to wear and you'll nearly always leave people wishing they owned a Sharara too! 
This Sharara is by far my favourite, I'm seriously in love with this whole look, everything about this look is to die for, you can see how carefully and skillfully the trousers have been pleated for a full and tailored look mixed with the hand printed top for a contrasting look, I just love everything about this combination... 
This Surendri by Yogesh Chaudry is a quirky update the look, a knitted top gives this look a fun twist ...
You don't get more flared than trousers like this but the effect is amazing, mixed with the short Gota encrusted top is just so fun and vibrant...
This Tarun Tahiliani masterpiece is more classic than the most, but thats what so incredible, Tarun mixes classic colours with classic shapes and leaves you with a timeless vibe...
This is trouser shape that I would personally avoid, but I can't help but like the clash of colours and work on the trousers....
I love this style of trouser, this is a super flattering piece and is incredibly timeless with its simple and understated style...
The length of the top on this Sharara is daring, edgy and usually I'm not a fan of this length but the tight cut and shape of the top adds a touch of interest...
This look paired with a simple head piece and flowing wavy locks would look incredible, its simple clean lines allow for more unusual accessories to really shine, even pairing this with stacks of chunky bangles alone would look georgous with a simple sharara like this....
The work on this Sharara is beautiful, but is a perfect example of a style that I would avoid, it  would just highlight all the wrong the features in my opinion...
Certainly a quirkier style of Sharara, but I find this look to be simple, elegant and completley effortless...


The creamy gold shades with the complimentary embriodary just stuns on this Sharara... 
Sonam Kapoor shows how simple and effortless a Sharara can look and how easy they are to wear...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground